Five Question Friday – “Goodbye Elimination Diet, Hello Chocolate!” Edition

It’s that time again…

I have now given up trying to isolate the foods that I was still eating that were causing me difficulty, since pretty much every single food I tried (with the exception of maple syrup, apples, and rice cakes) seemed to set off my system.  So in lieu of eating nothing but maple syrup, apples and rice cakes for three weeks so that I can reintroduce the other foods and gauge my reaction to them properly, I’m falling off the wagon and just getting the expensive-and-not-as-conclusive-but-potentially-less-rice-cake-intensive food intolerance blood tests done.  Well, not so much “falling,” maybe, as “hurling myself bodily with and with enthusiasm.”  It was not a fun wagon.

We will eat well these next few weeks, despite the fact that my body may hate me a little for it.  They actually encourage you to be eating a variety of foods before doing the testing, so I can hardly protest, right?  ;)   I will eat chocolate for science.  And in the mean time, my doctor is testing the levels of some of my digestive enzymes and has ordered an abdominal ultrasound.  Sucks having to pay for the allergy test out of pocket, but there seems to be just WAY too much that’s a problem for me to figure out on my own.  Hopefully the results will help give me back more direction.

Though I have the sneaking suspicion that the test results are going to come back with nothing but giant font across the page that says “DO NOT EAT FOOD.”

Ah well.

On to the questions!  As per normal, questions come originally from Mama M, were introduced to me via the lovely Spokeit, and contain both consonants and vowels, including the sometimes y.  Also, your own answers or comments are most welcome.

The Questions:

1. Do you know what your REAL hair color is?

2. Do you plan ahead for summer, or fly by the seat of your pants?

3. What is your favorite meal to cook?

4. Do you get offended by not receiving thank yous?

5. How did you meet your best friend?

My Answers:

1. Do you know what your REAL hair color is?

Yes.  It is currently on my head.  …At least the top few inches, anyway.  The rest has a tiny extra sheen of reddish dye to it still.  It is brown, with reddish undertones.  In the sunlight all the red really comes out vibrantly and it looks like somebody else’s hair entirely.  But in a good way.  I like it.

In the past couple of years, I’ve been inspired to colour my hair a few times with temporary colour just out of the need for something different.  I don’t do it often, though.

Just in the past few months, I have actually started to get gray hair, though.  Not the one or two white hairs that I have had for the years before, but an actual, sort-of-noticeable collection of them.  What’s that about??  Now I feel sort of like I should have kept and enjoyed my natural colour while I could.

2. Do you plan ahead for summer, or fly by the seat of your pants?

Fly, I guess?  Sort of?  What do people normally plan about their summers?  I think I’m missing something.

Of course, I tend to have a plan for pretty much everything anyway, so even missing the point of the question I may still qualify as having a plan.  :)

3. What is your favorite meal to cook?

I’m not a huge lover of cooking in general, so often my favourite meal is one I’m not cooking, but I guess I would choose stuffing, for Thanksgiving or Christmas.  I like being able to play with it, and experiment with different variations, and it’s fun to feel like I’ve created something really good.  It’s the one thing I cook that was an unequivocal hit.  …Provided it doesn’t instead turn into a pile of inedible mush like it randomly did that one time last year.

We won’t talk about that.

4. Do you get offended by not receiving thank yous?

I might be a bit offended if I went way out of my way for somebody and didn’t even get a verbal thank you.  As far as a more formal thank you goes, not in the least.  I find it a strange tradition that people feel obligated to send a little card with a thank you on it for certain things.  I dislike that people should feel forced to do that – it seems insincere to me.  If something I did actually sincerely inspired someone to be so overcome with gratitude that they wanted to write to tell me, that would be amazing.  But I wouldn’t expect it to happen often, and certainly not for picking out a mundane wedding gift for them.  And if they weren’t naturally inspired, it bothers me that I should still expect a note.  Not that I’m not pleased to receive a card from someone for that type of thing, it’s just that the fact that they felt obligated to send it bothers me on their behalf.  I would rather get fewer thank yous, but more meaningful ones.

5. How did you meet your best friend?

My best friend is my husband, who I met through a mutual group of acquaintances.  We were clearly meant to be best friends even if we had never become romantically involved.

Outside of him, I have a few different groups of friends that I see a lot of, but none of which really fills the role of a “best friend.”  I did not phone those people when my cat died or when I’ve gone through really hard times with my health.  They are the sort of people who I will fill in about some of it when I see them next.  The kind of people who I’m sure would help me if I asked for it, but whom I probably wouldn’t ask.  It probably doesn’t help that none of them live particularly close to me.  Sometimes I wonder how our relationships would be different if more of my friends were nearby.

Many of them I met in high school (mostly though the music department, or mutual friends.  One of them I dated), the rest during my University years (housemates and friends of friends).  Don’t think I’ve met anybody particularly noteworthy from other places.  I have acquaintances at work, but no real friends.

Of course, you all are a great source of friendship as well.  You crazy Internet People. ;)

Tags: , , , , , ,

7 Responses to “Five Question Friday – “Goodbye Elimination Diet, Hello Chocolate!” Edition”

1. steff says:

my husband is also my best friend and sometimes i feel like people raise eyebrows when i say it. almost like i must be delusional to believe that the same person i’m married to is also the person i most like to spend time with. why is that so weird? it’s not. right?
    i also wonder if my friends were closer (which none of them really are) if things would be different or easier to maintain. i have mostly distant relationships with people other than my husband. he’s got a few close friends that he will keep in contact with throughout the week whereas i might touch base with someone once a month. sometimes less… i feel guilty about that. can you tell?
    i know that if i needed them they would be there for me but, like you mentioned, i probably wouldn’t even ask for the help in the first place.
    i fear i may not be an earth-based life form either…

2. pinkbrain says:

The Questions:

1. Do you know what your REAL hair color is?
    Yes. It’s a mousy dark blonde. I hadn’t seen it though from 1987-2004. I’m a recovering dye-aholic. It was cool to grow out my hair and then be able to donate it since it wasn’t fried.

2. Do you plan ahead for summer, or fly by the seat of your pants?
    Like vacations or daily fun stuff? I’m a big planner, especially for vacations. I make an itinerary of each day, but I do leave room for spontaneity. Scheduled spontaneity.

3. What is your favorite meal to cook?
    Anything in the slow cooker lately. I hate to cook, love to bake though.

4. Do you get offended by not receiving thank yous?
    I like your answer about the thank you, more thoughtful thank yous would be nice. My husband’s niece gave other family members thank you cards but omitted to send one to us. That’s just rude.

5. How did you meet your best friend?
    In a bar on New Year’s eve! My husband is also my best friend. I’ve had so many friends move away (and come back) that he’s been the only constant in my life for the past 15 years.

3. Curiosity says:

I plan my vacations too, Pinkbrain. I had a colour-coded Excel spreadsheet for our honeymoon. :) …But it created an awesome trip, I swear!

And yay for ladies marrying their best friends. I don’t see a thing wrong with that. If we’re going to see the person we choose as our mate more than any other human, we might as well pick the one we like the best. :)
    (not that there’s anything wrong with people who have a separate other best friend as well)

4. Geege says:

1. Do you know what your REAL hair color is?

Apparently, my “REAL” hair colour went from boring brown to a gorgeous, shiny silver. Not grey. Silver. This is why I haven’t seen my real hair since I was in highschool and I probably won’t for some time ;)

2. Do you plan ahead for summer, or fly by the seat of your pants?

I fly by the seat of my pants. If there is something that I really want to do, I make sure to plan it out (ie visiting friends out of town), but for the most part, I wait till I’m off work and figure it out then.

3. What is your favorite meal to cook?

I don’t think I have a real favourite thing to cook. I like cooking enough, but nothing jumps out for me. I guess something where there is lots of chopping cause I like to pretend I’m on the Food Network with my superior (not really) knife skills.

4. Do you get offended by not receiving thank yous?

I do get offended if I don’t get a “thanks”, but not if I don’t get a card in the mail. I agree, sometimes it seems so forced when you get the ol’ thank you card, but I have a friend who sends one everytime I get her a gift and it’s always nice to get them from her. I guess cause I know she is genuinely happy that I thought enough to get her something. As a joke, I’ve started sending her thank you cards for her thank you cards…I think it’s hilarious – she thinks I’m nuts.

5. How did you meet your best friend?

My honest to goodness best friend in the whole wide world is my sister – so I met her when my parents brought her home from the hospital when I was only 14 months old. I’m so lucky to have a sister close in age cause we shared everything growing up, and we still do. She is one of the only people I can tell anything to and not worry that I’m being judged.

As for a husband being a best friend, I think that’s wonderful. I believe that you have to build a marriage on love, trust, respect and friendship, so why shouldn’t he be your best friend? If you choose to spend the rest of your life with someone, you better be friends first.

5. Curiosity says:

Geege – I love that you sent her a thank you card for a thank you card. That’s awesome. I would totally write you a thank you for your thank you for my thank you, and then we could be locked in an infinite loop of card exchange.

6. Zannah says:

1. Do you know what your REAL hair color is?
    Yes. It’s a dark brown, sometimes kinda ashy, sometimes with reddish highlights. I dyed it one time, just to see, and it didn’t turn out to be the shade of red I was looking for. As soon as I started to see roots, I dyed it back. I can’t handle that kind of maintenance. I need my hair to be easy.

2. Do you plan ahead for summer, or fly by the seat of your pants?
    Unfortunately, I work and I don’t have kids, so summer doesn’t mean much to me anymore. I still look forward to it (love the weather), but I don’t usually take a long vacation or do much that’s special just because it’s summer. So…I fly by the seat of my pants, I guess. Lots of outdoor concerts that I sometimes plan ahead for.

3. What is your favorite meal to cook?
    I don’t like to cook. At all. If heating stuff up counts, then my favorite meal to cook is Indian food, when I re-heat it.

4. Do you get offended by not receiving thank yous?
    Never. I LOVE receiving them, but I don’t expect them.

5. How did you meet your best friend?
    My husband is my best friend (I see I’m in good company here), and we met in college through mutual friends. I got to know him better because I thought his good friend was really cute, and to hang out with one of them was to hang out with both. I think I made the right choice. :) My non-husband best friend was in the Navy with me. We met while standing watch on an aircraft carrier. She’s awesome.

7. Ange says:

I totally spaced on Five Question Friday this week. Whoops! :)

Unrelated to the post at hand but I’ve awarded you a bloggy award. Feel free to check it out on my blog (or not!) :)